How much change was there in opportunities for women in the USA in the years 1919-1941?
* Class Powerpoint
* Ben Walsh GCSE Modern World History Text Book
Intro: Opportunities for women increased over 20s and 30s. Given politically, socially, economically= a few egs, some of these lead to dramatic changes. Fashion, employment, society
* Women=more opportunities in late 20s+early 30s than start of 20s
* 1. 19[th] Amendment in 1920=right to vote freely
* Equal Rights Amendment in 1923=women+men=rights
* More support=further into politics
* 3. Women's confidence boosted=less like property, purpose in society
* 2. Political parties wanted women's votes, not political candidates `unelectable'
* Many women in high public standing, Eleanor Roosevelt, only handful of women elected by 1929
* 1925, first female US governor, Nellie Tayloe Ross, sworn into office
* Effectiveness surprised many, women=more praise than men
* Moreover, US Women's Movement inspired women worldwide
* In the case of divorce, both spouses =
* Women less likely to stay in unhappy marriages
* 1929, approx. 200,000 divorces
* Politically ops for women progressed increasingly years 1919-41 more women gained confidence, boosted into politics
* 2. Not only through politics, through others too
* Very few paid jobs open to women; expected housewives
* Lower paid jobs: cleaning, dressmaking, secretarial work
* Rural USA particularly tight restrictions owing to churches' traditional attitude to role of women. Early 20s=change in urban+middle class
* WW1 in 1917 taken into war industries=experience of skilled factory work
* Conductors on buses/trams, farmers, engineers
* 1920s, domestic work=easier:electrical goods
* Vacuum ...
A primary cause of was the rise of Tecumseh, believed to be backed by the British, caused an urgency for the Americans to expel the British from Canada. The War Hawks, the congress at the time of Madison's presidency, were pushing for the invasion of Canada, and an attack upon the savages who had been tormenting homes on the frontier. Madison neve...
. During the colonial period of early America, Virginia was the first to introduce a representative assembly. This first glimpse of democracy influenced the shape of America today. It eventually caused the colonies to drift away from monarchial England, and to establish a democratic government. Ironically, from this government, slavery and racism...
The Matrix has been doing remarkably well in sales since its release in the cinema last summer and its recent video releases. This is largely due to stylish advertising techniques and word of mouth. The Matrix has been approved by critics who enjoy the film and also the ones who dislike the theme. Among young viewers, it has already achieved great...
Noticed in the early days of the twentieth century was the poor living standards of tenant farmers of the south. Over the years much research has been done to find what areas of life made up for this low standard. The focus of this compilation of research will be disease and poor housing. Presently, most people looking for a house want a clean e...
Valley Forge: A Tragedy Facts to know: ' General Washington and his men seek shelter at Valley Forge after Battle of White Marsh ' Battle of White Marsh, last major battle of 1777 ' Washington wanted to find permanent winter encampment ' He chose Valley Forge, 22 miles North West of Philadelphia ' Considered far enough from British to hinder Surp...